Saturday, February 28, 2015

Waiting on Spring!



Outside the windows it's a winter wonderland. The sun is shining brightly making our mood lighter. The birds, Juncos, blue jays, black capped chick-a-dees and pine siskas are cleaning out the bird feeders once again. We can only refill feeders by wearing our snow shoes. We enjoy tramping across the fields for an hour on days such as this but hubby has started the new back-splash in the kitchen and far be it for me to interrupt that major project.

The above picture was taken one spring while walking back into our woods. Often the little stream dries up in the summer but this day was rather magical back there and I took many pictures. I do tend to take a lot of pictures of our property during all the seasons, we are loving this very picturesque property.

My mind is really dwelling on spring now especially after I purchased a large quantity of seeds last weekend. I did get my peas planted last year at the end of April but with all this snow this year it might not be so early. But in my mind lately I've been planning where to dig up more gardens, what bushes and trees I want to plant yet. In other words I'm really itching to get the gardening gloves on and get busy.

Winter time is a busy time here though, I have my art classes and rug braiding class. There is usually a renovating project going on here inside the house and my in-laws often invite me to join them for a shopping trip into the city. Yesterday was one of those days. The 3rd Tuesday of each month is the Senior's luncheon and once in awhile hubby will even take me to a Saturday night dance.

Some boxes are still not unpacked so there is still a lot of sorting going on, which will probably be ongoing until the dining room is finished. Then I can get my two china cabinets organized. I'm getting quite excited about having the last two new floors put down before our friends and family start visiting this year.

Hubby said he would dig out the steps to the deck where I hang up my clothes as I've seen some clothesline being used already and we love the fresh smell of bedding hung outside. Last year the hummingbirds kept me company at the clothesline or while relaxing in a lawn chair.

I'm probably much more excited than hubby with the thoughts of a screened in gazebo this year as he will be doing the building of it with the help of his brother and any of our guests who happen to land in at that time from Ontario. We weren't long in buying bug jackets last year once the black flies arrived.

My favorite color right now is green! Thoughts of green leaves, green grass, fresh rhubarb and little green asparagus shoots peeking up through the earth. I have four nice sized raised gardening beds somewhere out in the white wilderness that I haven't seen for a long time. They will pop up in the spring also.

Everyone I meet up with these days has one favorite topic. They are ready for springs arrival. It will be interesting to see if all my tulips, daffodils, crocus and iris come up where I planted them or the squirrels decided to move them. If it really comes down to it, I don't care where they end up as long as this snow starts melting soon. Enough of boots, heavy coats, hats and gloves. I've got it all planned out..Mother Nature, are you listening?

2 comments:

  1. We are all dying for some COLOUR!! So many shades of grey, brown and white but nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going well for you Lannie. I'm happy to hear that. We have been snow shoeing a lot too but like you I'm more than ready to see some colour. I have plans for tree planting and shrubs and I'm impatient to get started.

    ReplyDelete